The BlueCard® Program
Traveling across the country or around the world? The BlueCard Program* helps Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) members:
- Get needed health care when you travel or live outside your Blue Plan service area
- Get the same benefits as your BCBSNM plan when you travel or are away from home for an extended amount of time
- Find a doctor or hospital throughout the United States — More than 90% of all hospitals and doctors in the U.S. contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Find a doctor or hospital outside the U.S. in more than 200 countries around the world through BlueCard Worldwide®
BlueCard coverage varies for each BCBS Plan. It depends on if you choose a provider who contracts with BCBS. Be sure to call Customer Service at the number on the back of your member ID card before you travel.
If you are already a BCBSNM member, log in to Blue Access for MembersSM to find more information about BlueCard.
The Away from Home Care® Program
Access for Extended Stays (Temporarily Residing Away From Home)
BCBSNM members who have HMO plans may become guests of an affiliated HMO when they are away from home for at least 90 days. The Away From Home Care Program is ideal for members who:
- Have a child attending school out of state
- Have family members who live in different service areas
- Have a long-term work assignment in another state
This program allows ongoing access to contracting hospitals and doctors.
If you are already a BCBSNM member, log in to Blue Access for Members to get more information about Away From Home Care. Call the customer service number on the back of your member ID card to find out where the program is available.
Host Blue Plan HMO Members
Are you a member of a BCBS Plan outside of New Mexico? For information and locations where the Away From Home Care Program is available in New Mexico, call BCBSNM at 1-800-423-1630. Please let BCBSNM know your home BCBS Plan.
* The BlueCard Program is not available for Medicaid, Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D plan members. HMO plan members can use the BlueCard Program only for emergency or urgent care when traveling or away from home for less than 90 days. Also, the Away From Home Care Program is not available for Medicaid plan members or for HMO plan members on the Blue Advantage or Blue Community networks.
This is only a brief description of some of the plan benefits. Not all benefits are offered by all Plans mentioned above. For more complete details, including benefits, limitations and exclusions, please refer to your benefit booklet or certificate of coverage.