BlueEdge HSASM for Groups
BlueEdge HSA for groups is a consumer-directed plan that lets Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) members decide how, when, and where their health care dollars are spent. BlueEdge combines a Participating Provider Option (PPO) with a tax-free Health Savings Account (HSA) to help cover the health care costs that members pay out of pocket, such as copayments and deductibles. The BlueEdge health plan includes:
- Preventive care for adults and children is covered when using in-network providers (members don't have to meet the deductible to enjoy these benefits)
- Freedom to choose any licensed doctor for covered benefits
- Health Savings Account (HSA) funds are used to pay for covered health care expenses; the account can be funded by the member or the employer; PPO-eligible medical costs paid from the HSA count toward the annual deductible
- Online tools help members gain knowledge about health issues and can help them keep track of health care costs
BlueEdge gives members the edge on health care.
Anyone who enrolls in this health plan should know about IRS laws. Under IRS law, any adult can contribute to an HSA is he or she:
- Has coverage under an HSA-qualified high deductible health plan (HDHP)
- Has no other first-dollar medical coverage (other types of insurance such as specific injury insurance or accident, disability, dental care, vision care or long-term care insurance are allowed)
- Is not enrolled in Medicare
- Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return
There are other laws about contributions and distributions. Those enrolled in a health plan that includes an HSA should first seek professional tax advice to find out if their situation allows the use of an HSA.
Learn More About BlueEdge HSA for Groups:
Prospective Producers: To apply to become a contracted producer, see our Prospective Producers page.