ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) announced it will offer a special enrollment period for its insured group customers. Employees of fully insured group customers who did not opt in for coverage during the regular enrollment period will have an opportunity to get coverage for their health care needs. The special open enrollment period begins April 1 and will end April 30, 2020.
“We are working closely with many providers and partners to protect the health and the safety of our employees, members, and people in the communities in which we serve,” said Kurt Shipley, BCBSNM President. “These are extraordinary times and an extraordinary response is needed. We are stepping up to help meet the health care coverage needs of as many people as possible by opening up a special enrollment period.”
This optional special enrollment period would apply to eligible employees and their dependents who previously declined coverage and now would like to enroll, or currently enrolled employees who wish to add an eligible spouse or dependent to their existing coverage. The effective date for coverage will be April 1, 2020. This enrollment event will be for medical/pharmacy and dental coverage only.
Other actions our plans have taken to support members include:
- Launching dedicated COVID-19 website at bcbsnm.com so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19;
- Waiving preauthorization and lifting members’ copays or deductibles for testing to diagnose COVID-19 when medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidelines, and treatment related to COVID-19 for BCBSNM insured members;
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills;
- Lifting cost-sharing for medically necessary and behavioral health services delivered via telemedicine; and
- Waiving prior authorization requirements for transfers to in-network, medically necessary alternative post-acute facilities until April 30, 2020.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico is one of the largest commercial health insurers in New Mexico with 630,000 New Mexicans carrying a Blue Cross and Blue Shield card. Since 1940, BCBSNM has been committed to promoting the health and wellness of its members and communities through accessible, cost-effective, quality health care. BCBSNM is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation, the country’s largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall. Health Care Service Corporation is a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.