Identifying and Prescribing Correct Glucose Meter Test Strips
When prescribing glucose meter test strips, it is important to verify the type of glucose meter the patient is using and which test strips it requires. Some glucose meters have similar names, but require different types of test strips. The CONTOUR® NEXT and CONTOUR line of glucose meters require different test strips. CONTOUR test strips will not work in the newer CONTOUR NEXT glucose meters and vice versa.
How to identify CONTOUR NEXT and CONTOUR glucose meters:
- These meters require CONTOUR NEXT test strips:
- COUNTER NEXT EZ meters have "CONTOUR NEXT EZ" written on the front of the meter
- CONTOUR NEXT LINK meters have a gray front panel and will have "CONTOUR NEXT LINK" written on the sticker on the back of the meter
- CONTOUR NEXT USB meters have "CONTOUR NEXT USB" written on the sticker on the back of the meter and will have a model number of 7411 or 9636
- These meters require CONTOUR test strips:
- CONTOUR and CONTOUR LINK meters have "CONTOUR" written on the front of the meter
- DIDGET meters have "DIDGET" written on the front of the meter
- CONTOUR USB meter will have "CONTOUR USB" written on the sticker on the back of the meter and will have a model number of 7393A
- Check test strip compatibility for CONTOUR NEXT and CONTOUR glucose meters at:
It is imperative to use the full name of the correct test strips when writing prescriptions. Failure to do so will delay patients receiving the proper strips from their local or mail-order pharmacy.
Glucose Meters Available for Free to BCBSNM Commercial Members
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSN) members may receive a free CONTOUR NEXT glucose meter by calling 800-401-8440 or by visiting www.contournextfreemeter.com. More information about these meters can be found on the BCBSNM Member website at https://www.bcbsnm.com/pdf/rx/glucose-meter-offer-nm.pdf.
CONTOUR is a trademark of Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico, a Division of Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company, an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.