BCBSNM Waives Customer Cost-Sharing for COVID-19 Treatment
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) is waiving member cost-sharing, including deductibles, copayments and coinsurance related to treatment for COVID-19. For BCBSNM insured and Medicaid members, the waiver applies to costs associated with COVID-19 treatment for both in-network and out-of-network services, including emergencies. For others, the out-of-network services covered by the policy are limited to emergencies.
Which members are included?
The new policy applies to all fully insured group plan, individual and family plan, Medicare Advantage and Medicaid (excluding Part D plans), and Medicare Supplement members. We will work with self-funded employer groups that decide to offer the same waivers.
How Long will cost sharing be waived?
For BCBSNM insured and Medicaid members, the policy is effective for treatment starting March 11, 2020, with no present end date. For others, the policy is effective for treatment received April 1, 2020, through Aug. 30, 2020. We will reassess this policy as circumstances warrant.
How to Submit COVID-19 Treatment Claims
Submit your claims for COVID-19 treatment of confirmed cases of COVID-19 using ICD-10 code U07.1.
What else is BCBSNM Doing in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic?
Other changes announced by BCBSNM in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic include:
- Expanding access to telehealth coverage
- Waiving preauthorization and members’ cost-sharing for testing to diagnose COVID-19
- Lifting restrictions on early prescription fills
- Lifting cost-sharing for in-network, medically necessary services delivered via telemedicine (may differ by Plan)
- Launching dedicated COVID-19 websites so members can easily access information and resources around COVID-19
- Offering commercial group accounts an optional special-enrollment period
- Launching the COVID-19 Collaborative Grant Fund to provide resources and support to those most impacted by the pandemic.
For the latest information on our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and as well as other information and tips to stay healthy, please visit bcbsnm.com.