Every year some of our members receive a survey to collect information about their experiences with their health care providers, their Blue Cross Medicare Advantage℠ plans and their prescription drug plans.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) sends the Medicare Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) survey to a random sample of our members from March through June. Members are asked to rate their last six months of care. If your patients receive a CAHPS survey, please encourage them to respond.
Why the CAHPS survey is important
The survey identifies opportunities to improve member satisfaction. Results also affect the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Star Ratings, which rate Medicare Advantage plans on a scale from one to five stars. Our goal is to achieve the highest possible Star rating for our plans. Learn more about the survey from CMS.
How you can help
The survey evaluates how our members interact with their health plan and with you, their provider. Here are tips to help improve members’ experiences year-round:
Provide needed care quickly and coordinate care with specialists.
- Leave openings for sick visits and urgent appointments
- Discuss how to access telehealth services and after-hours care
- Follow up with members’ specialists to ensure continuity of care
- Ask members about their top health concerns
- Keep conversations clear and simple
- Follow up after urgent or emergency care
Keep members healthy.
- Recommend and/or administer the flu shot during flu season
- Educate members on preventive services, chronic conditions and ongoing care
- Let members know whether you offer telehealth services that allow them to access care from home
- Discuss the COVID-19 vaccine
- Screen members for risk factors, like tobacco use, and recommend appropriate lifestyle changes
- Complete and document any health assessments
- Identify and follow up with members who haven’t visited in the past year
This information is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for the sound medical judgment of a provider. Members are encouraged to talk to their provider if they have any questions or concerns regarding their health.
CAHPS is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).