July 24, 2020
Consider screening our members who are 50 to 75 years old for colorectal cancer. Members in Blue Community (Metal) HMO Networks who have not been screened may qualify for a Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) Kit at no extra charge. We are working with Home Access Health Corporation to provide in-home kits to encourage screening for our at-risk members. Screening with a FIT Kit may be a good option to close care gaps.
Why emphasize screening?
Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.1 About one-third of adults 50 years and older have not received the recommended screening.2
How it Works
- We notify members that they will receive the test kit and that using it is voluntary.
- The member submits the test for processing to Home Access Health Corporation by Nov. 30, 2020.
- Home Access Health Corporation sends the results in three to four weeks to the member and the provider they specify
How You Can Help
- Discuss the importance of screening and healthy lifestyle choices with our member.
- If our member receives a FIT Kit and calls your office with questions, discuss which screening test would be the best option for them.
- Document any test results in the patient’s medical record and discuss the results with our member.
Other Benefits of the FIT Kit
- No need for anesthesia or prep
- Screen members at home who may be at risk during the COVID-19 pandemic
- The U.S. Multi-Society Task Force of Colorectal Cancer3 considers annual FIT testing and colonoscopy every 10 years the two cornerstones of screening for those of average risk.
If you have any questions, please contact your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico Provider Network Representative.
1 Basic Information About Colorectal Cancer
2 Screen for Life: National Colorectal Cancer Action Campaign
3 Colorectal Cancer Screening: Recommendations for Physicians and Patients From the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer