Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) recognizes the importance of strong community involvement and we have created a company culture that values giving. For BCBSNM, community support occurs through a variety of volunteer and financial commitments. From sponsorship of projects related to health initiatives, to promoting employee volunteerism through the BlueCorps team, BCBSNM is an active participant in the great state of New Mexico.
Through charitable giving, our organization connects with customers, community leaders, and policy makers who are interested in making New Mexico a healthier state. While we respect all community-oriented projects, we, as a customer-owned company, have financial limitations on sponsorship spending. Please read the following information to see if your organization's project is a good fit for our funding priorities.
BCBSNM has a core mission of promoting accessible, cost-effective, quality health care for our customers. We feel that it is imperative to align our corporate giving and sponsorship decisions with this mission in an effort to achieving successful outcomes.
- Access to Care — Projects that increase awareness and understanding of access to care issues for uninsured and low-income households. Applicants must be able to demonstrate knowledge of health care access issues and related stakeholders, including providers, policy makers, and advocates. A media plan should be included with your application.
- Healthy Living/Wellness — Projects that increase awareness and understanding of healthy choices and promote a healthy lifestyle. Applicants must be able to demonstrate accurate and clear information that is actionable. A media plan should be included with your application.
- Condition Management — Projects that increase awareness and understanding of living with chronic disease. Applicants must be able to demonstrate knowledge of community-level condition management resources and tools, and be willing to help promote the importance of condition management programs available in the community.
- Business Partner — Allows BCBSNM staff to build relationships with the business community and the provider community. Must be able to demonstrate audience demographics and allow for adequate brand visibility based on the level of financial commitment. Applicants must adhere to corporate brand identity standards.
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Families® — Our Healthy Kids, Healthy Families (HKHF) grant program was created to improve the health and wellness of children through community investments by BCBSNM. The HKHF program began in 2011 as a 3-year initiative, but is now a signature program of our company. It is part of our ongoing commitment to invest in and partner with nonprofit organizations that offer sustainable, measurable programs to reach children and their families. The programs focus on nutrition, physical activity, disease prevention and management, and supporting safe environments.
Who Can Apply
BCBSNM partners with organizations that share our mission. We accept requests for grants and sponsorships from organizations that are in New Mexico and have at least one of the following designations:
- Charitable organizations as defined under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, government agencies, or civic/cultural organizations
- Public school systems that promote educational opportunities
Exclusions – What Is Not Funded
BCBSNM is unable to offer funding for:
- Organizations or projects that discriminate against individuals based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Endowments or established trusts
- Sponsorship of unrelated charitable programs
- Sponsorship of youth athletics and related activities
- Deficit funding
How to Apply
There are four types of funding requests:
- Grant funding is for program-focused initiatives or for general operating support. Grants provide support to programs and organizations that align with BCBSNM's mission to promote health and wellness in the communities we serve. Only 501(c)(3) organizations are eligible to apply. Applications for general grants are accepted from mid-January to mid-November or until funds are unavailable. Please review the following information to apply online for a grant.
- Sponsorship funding is primarily for supporting a fundraiser or event for a charity or noncharitable community, civic or educational organization that also provides visibility for BCBSNM in the communities we serve. Such fundraising events include galas, benefits, golf tournaments, conferences and various community events. Requests should be received at least 45 days prior to the start date or event date. Sponsorships do not require 501(c)(3) status. Applications for sponsorships are accepted from mid-January to mid-November or until funds are unavailable. Please review the following information to apply online for a sponsorship.
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Families (HKHF) funding is available for nonprofit organizations that have measurable, sustainable programs that target children and their families through nutrition education, physical activity, disease prevention and management, and supporting safe environments. The grant application cycle is April 15, 2019, through May 31, 2019, for 2020 programming. Notification of grant awards will take place in December. Please submit applications by 4:00 p.m. MT on May 31, 2019, to be considered for funding in this grant cycle for programs that begin in 2020. Please review the following information to apply for a HKHF grant .
- In-Kind video production is available to one New Mexico nonprofit organization each year through the BCBSNM video department. If your organization is the chosen applicant, BCBSNM will work with you to help deliver your story to your targeted audience, highlight the impact you make in our community and raise awareness for your program. BCBSNM will film, edit and finalize a complimentary three-to five-minute video if your application is selected. Applications for an in-kind video are accepted until Mar. 31. Please review the following information to apply for an In-kind video .
Thank you for considering BCBSNM as a potential partner.