Special Enrollment – Job Loss

Losing your health insurance after a job loss can be tough. If there is a silver lining, it's that you have more health insurance options than ever before. In the past, COBRA was your only option. Today, you can buy your own health insurance and you may even get help paying for it.

If you experienced any of the qualifying life events listed below, you may qualify for special enrollment. This means you can enroll in health insurance during a special enrollment period. But keep in mind you only have 60 days to enroll in health insurance after a job loss. After that, you'll have to wait until open enrollment.

Job-loss related qualifying life events include:

  • A decrease in work hours that leads to your health benefits being cut
  • Being laid off
  • Quitting or losing your job
  • COBRA coverage ending

What if I don't qualify for Special Enrollment?

Depending on your income, you may qualify for Medicaid or CHIP. There is no special enrollment period for those government offered coverage options. You can apply at any time.

Members of American Indian tribes can enroll any month, not just during open enrollment. You can even apply for cost assistance.

Learn more on Connect

Get answers. Share information. Gain knowledge.