Special Enrollment – Moving

If you're moving, your address may not be the only thing changing. You may be able to change your health care coverage. That's because moving is a qualifying event.

You may qualify for special enrollment if you have had at least one day of health care coverage during the 60 days before your move and are:

  • Moving out of state, or
  • Moving to an area within your state, but your health insurance plan or network is not available

If either of these qualifying events apply to you, you have 60 days to change or enroll in a new health plan after moving.

I have a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (BCBSNM) health plan. How do I change my address and enroll in a new plan?

  • If you enrolled on the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange, please visit BeWellNM.com Learn more about third-party links.
  • If you have health care coverage through your employer, call your company's benefits or HR department.

What if I don't qualify for Special Enrollment?

Depending on your income, you may qualify for Medicaid or CHIP. There is no special enrollment period for these government offered coverage options — you can apply at any time.

Members of American Indian and Alaska Native tribes can enroll any month, not just during open enrollment. You can even apply for cost assistance.